Tuesday, September 18, 2007

ONCE HE HAD PLANNED MY DEATH--THIS MORNING HE HUGGED MY NECK

It happened a couple decades ago in the Philippines but it is still so vivid in my mind.

Outside, the city of Manila had awakened to another day of political unrest.

"What will happen today?" was the first thought for many. Each day seemed to bring new threats to the country.

Some Christian leaders had called an early morning strategy session. Some of the leaders were former rebels.

When I looked around the room I could see violent episodes of bombings and killings in the history of Manila written in the backgrounds of these strong ones. Each was given a turn to speak.

The first to rise was Cesar, a tall man with greying hair. He was a financial genius--he had been very corrupt. Even from prison he controlled a financial empire.

Then came Roger. He was known as a bombastic speaker. In the 1960's and 1970's he had used his fiery speech and organizational skills to lead the Marxist efforts toward violent overthrow of the Philippine government.

He trained guerillas. He devised the terrorist's strategies. He planned the liquidation of all missionaries.

I was one of those missionaries.

When he began to speak he still had the fire in his voice--but it was a new kind of fire! And just like every other speaker that morning, he told how Jesus Christ had changed his life and Jesus could save this nation.

Like many others that spoke he had found Christ in prison and now he was preaching the saving power of Jesus Christ to the same city he had led toward communism.

Each speaker urged the audience to use every means to tell the Philippines about Jesus--the only hope.

When the meeting was finished Roger and I were standing face to face. The one who introduced us told him I was one of those missionaries on the list and mentioned some of my work.

We shook hands.

I held his gaze and saw no hate in those eyes. And then in Christian brotherhood he hugged me.

"I love you, brother," he said. "Keep up the good work."

Once he had planned my death--this morning he hugged my neck.

What a meeting!

2 comments:

Shileen said...

wow. That's all I can say.

Cajun Tiger said...

So powerful!!! What an awesome God we serve!!!