Wednesday, September 19, 2007

OLD SIMON AND DAN

Can I share a flashback to the 1970's with you? We were missionaries with International Corresponndence Institute in Brussels, Belgium.

Who could tell how old he was? Tossled gray hair, rough cut beard, faltering steps with a cane, and he always carried some sort of bundle of papers or sticks.

Many times we had seen him in the forest behind the ICI office or walking on the sidewalk past the office.

Last summer, 12 year old son Dan (our numbr 2 son) was out by the sidewalk watering flowers. The old man came hobbling by. The man asked Dan for some water in his not-so-clean water jar. He was grateful but had little to say.

"Please wait for a minute," Dan said, "I have something else I want to give you."

He ran into the ICI office and got the first lesson of "The Great Questions of Life" in French. The course introduces students to Jesus as Savior.

When Dan handed him the booklet, the old man thanked him politely and then resumed his sad shuffle down the sidewalk.

Later Dan told us about it, and, of course, we encouraged his compassion.

"Well, you know, Son, that could become a very significant thing in the old man's life." we told him. I silently prayed that Dan might someday see results from this kind of witness.

Then we all just didn't think about it anymore--until yesterday.

Yesterday, now one year later, Dan was again out front drooling over some Corvettes parked across the street and once again the old man came by.

"Hello, Grandfather," Dan greeted him. "What is your name?"
"Hello, young man, I'm Simon and I'm 80 years old. Are you 18?"
"No..."
"Seventeen?"
"Fifteen?"
"No, I'm 13."

For a moment age stood back in silence and beheld youth and seemed to measure the promises of life for the lad.

"Are you a religious man, Grandfather?"

To answer the question gnarled old hands reached inside that same old dirty coat he wore last year and pulled out a Bible.

"Yes, Child, God is very good to me. I read this and He is so precious. Last year, right here, a child gave me a drink and gave me a little book about God and the questions of life. Now I also have this Bible someone else gave me. I read them all the time. God is so good to me."

Dan didn't tell Old Simon he was that child that gave him the water and the book, but I'm sure Dan's heart was dancing as Old Simon and Young Dan, now linked for eternity, finished a warm conversation.

Old Simon's walk is a little slower this year, but his heart is certainly lighter. His beard still needs trimming, but brightened eyes look out in new wonder at youth and life.


Note: Dan has continued a life of witness and reaching out in Jesus' name. He serves as Development Director for Children's Cup and is seeing his vision for global missions come to pass. His publications impact thousands of lives. The support he raises enables 'Cup's global ministry. His on-field visits are a high-point for 'Cup's staff and thousands of our CarePoint children.

I repeat a question I ask a lot. Is it OK for a father to be proud?

No comments: