Friday, July 11, 2008

CAMBODIA: CHILD OF THE KILLING FIELDS

Nang Chan refugee camp, Cambodia, is where this precious child became part of my life.

She showed me through the camp laughing and skipping and saying "Okay?"

Word came that the camp of 26,000 was about to be overrun and the people killed.

When she sensed I was leaving her laughter changed to sobs as she pleaded, "Don't go away!"

She had thought I was the solution to her problems and she refused to let me go. I broke away from her with a broken heart. There was nothing I could do to help her.

Within hours the camp was destroyed and many of the people were slaughtered.

I don't know if she survived but her giggles and sobs and words have never left my mind. I promised her in my heart I would never stop trying to help children around the world.

God is allowing me to keep that promise.

No comments: