Thursday, July 19, 2007

THE EXQUISITE PAIN OF LOVE

“I love you so much it hurts.”

I was hugging one of our awesome grandchildren. I didn’t think the words, they just gushed out.

And I’ve thought about the words a lot since.

Love can bring soaring joys, immeasurable gratitude for such an unmerited blessing and at the same time a profound pain at the thought harm could come to the one we love so much or that we could lose them.

And then I remember the cross.

Jesus’ love for us took Him into a pain no other has ever known. Others had been crucified but none carried the weight of all the evil hell could imagine.

For God so loved the world…

And His pain at losing even one explodes with every whipman’s lash and every hammer’s blow at Golgatha.

Shouldn’t we at least tell everybody what He did on the cross?

No comments: