Sunday, July 08, 2007

CANDIDATE MARTYRS?

It never has been easy.
And it's getting harder.

I'm talking about interviewing missionary candidates.

Do they really understand what they are getting into? Is it just an exciting thing to do? Has God really called them?

Come with me to an interview. Look into their eyes, listen to their words, feel their hearts, let your heart receive their tears.

You won't see them but there is a crowd looking over my shoulder.

They are men and women I have known, wept and hugged necks with--great hearts that have layed down their lives for the same Jesus, the same message that these candidates want to take into the hard places of the world.

There have been more martyrs in my lifetime than in all the generations since Golgatha all added together.

About every three minutes another martyr dies for Jesus--perhaps one while you read this.

As I look into the candidates' eyes a fiery knot burns in my throat.

"Will this person be asked to die for Jesus?"

Dare I encourage the candidates to travel the road that will take them to that moment of ultimate sacrifice?

Worse, what guilt would crush my heart if I discourage their answer to the call?

I reaffirm this commitment to any who ask me about becoming a missionary.

I will want you to be sure God has called you.

I will be honest with you about the risks.

I will remind you that the devil knows if you have the spiritual authority to invade his strongholds.

I will also tell you that there is no greater joy than seeing God use your life to impact hurting people in hostile places.

Part of me will always be weeping as we talk.

No comments: