Saturday, September 27, 2008

I JUST MET ANOTHER HERO

In the breakfast room of a hotel in Missouri this morning I watched a dignified black gentleman. His demeanor said he was military.

"Did you serve in the Far East?" I asked.

"Yes, I did. Navy."

"Vietnam?"

"Yes."

"Were you there for the Tet Offensive?"

With that question he entered a world of memory alive in his mind. He told of close, personal combat in the battle for Hue.

I noticed the entire room was listening to our conversation.

"Do you think about it every day?"

"Oh, yes. Especially how Americans treated me when I came home. The sneers, the names they called me..."

His voice trailed off.

"I served my country, I obeyed my President, and I'd do it again."

I told him about my friend that spent 8 years in the Hanoi Hilton who came home to a divorce and the taunts of "Baby Killer."

"I know how he felt," my new friend said.

"Please let me apologize and thank you for fighting for my country--for my family."

"Thank you. Somebody else said that to me yesterday, too."

"America has changed. We are running out of people like you."

We parted quietly both having a sense of having been in each other's hearts for a few moments.

I didn't get his name--wish I had.

No comments: