Saturday, August 02, 2008

GLIMPSES OF THE GLORY OF GOD

I was in a hospital bed dying after being shot in the head with a rifle.

The doctors told my parents, ”If he lives he’ll be a blubbering idiot.” Then I heard my mom say softly in my ear, “Jesus is going to heal you.”

Later the most beautiful girl in the world would say, “Yes, I will marry you.”

Then came the news our first child was being formed. What a moment! Doctors had told us we’d not have children. Wrong again.

I heard each of my children as they were learning to talk say, “Daddy, wuv oo.”

Today I just looked into the eyes of our granddaughter in her stroller as she reached to me and tried to call me “Pop.”

Who can experience these things and doubt there is a God?

I heard God ask me to be a missionary. It was quieter than a voice but louder than just a thought. I was four years old but I knew something important had just happened.

That same voice has always been there in the hard and dangerous times on the mission field guiding me and giving me peace.

I’ve stood beside Heads of States as a fellow minister laid hands on the leaders and asked God to touch the leaders and their countries.

Imagine how it felt to see 25,000 people running across the stadium infield in response to my friend’s altar call.

I felt a bit dizzy as an official of one hostile country held my hands and told me Children’s Cup was welcome to come back to his country anytime anywhere.

These and thousands of other glimpses into the wonders of the glory of God envelop my mind and my heart.

They overwhelm me right now.

But what will it be like when I stand in His presence and experience the whole vista of God’s glory?

No comments: