Wednesday, January 30, 2008

MAYBE SHE'LL HUG ME AGAIN! (A tribute to my wife from an African child)

This would be a true story for hundreds of the 7,000 AIDS orphans and vulnerable children that Children's Cup takes care of in Africa.


I was scared.

Nobody has ever touched me except to hurt me, and she was coming toward me holding out her hand--maybe to grab me or hit me.

I shrunk back and wouldn't let her see my eyes.

She stopped and said something I didn't understand. Her words didn't sound mean but before I could react she reached over to the boy standing near me.

He seemed to know and trust her. He let her hug him and talk to him. They laughed and giggled like friends. What kind of lady is this?

I watched for several minutes as she went from child to child and was friendly to all of them. There were lots of smiles and soft words.

Who is she? I heard the man in the hat call her "Jean." Why did she come here from America, all the way to our poor slum in Africa?

Then I saw them unloading lots of food from the truck--enough food to feed everybody here for a week! I ran to get some. Last time I had food was two days ago.

After we ate they had us all get into a big circle and we played games. More giggles and happy laughter.

After we played a while the nice lady told us wonderful stories about Jesus and how He loves us and will help us if we give Him our hearts. One of the neighborhood ladies put her words into our language so we could understand.

I've never heard things like this before. Her kindness made me believe them.

Nobody has ever done anything like this for us before.

Then lady was looking at me--she was coming my way holding out her hand again. I was not afraid of her now so I let her hug me. I smelled her perfume--I know I didn't smell good.

But I could tell she really loved me.

As they drove away in the truck I cried a little bit. I didn't want them to go. I knew their coming changed things.

I had a feeling that maybe there was hope. They said, “Hope’s name is Jesus.”

Maybe they would come back with some more stories and food. Maybe she'll hug me again.

I sure hope they come back--they said they wanted to.

Oh, Jesus, make it possible for them to come again.

1 comment:

Cajun Tiger said...

What an amazing testimony!!!