Sunday, April 09, 2006

“LET HIS BLOOD BE ON US AND OUR CHILDREN.”

I just heard those words in a new way. I’ve been watching The Visual Bible’s video dramatization of the crucifixion events. Pilate just asked the mob what they wanted done to Jesus.

“Crucify Him!”
“Let His blood be on us and our children.”

My next thought startled me. That’s the same prayer I pray. “Cover me, cover my family with your blood.”

So different in intent, their words and mine, yet so alike in ultimate meaning.

They did not know that their words carried such prophetic importance. The words have now, to me, become one of the most poignant descriptions of the plan of salvation.

What they snarled out as a curse, in fact, became the only thing that could redeem them and their children from sin’s curse. The very blood their hatred spilled and cursed would atone for their grizzly deeds that caused it to flow.

All they and we have to do is ask.

Unthinkable!
Wonderful!

Did some of them avail of that forgiving blood? I can’t know but I think so. I do know about the thousands that were added to the church at Pentecost and daily thereafter.

I do know that countless martyrs mingled their blood with His in Rome’s Coliseum and Circus.

I do know that more martyrs have mingled their blood with His in my lifetime than the combined totals of all 2000 years since Christ’s death until my birth.

Brutal slayers still curse their victims’ blood and the Blood they preached. Yet, Calvary’s Blood will still cover their sins—if they but ask.

Not with snarling, cursing hate, but with a thankful heart I say, “Let His Blood be on me and on my children!”

No comments: