Sunday, November 06, 2005

I WOULD BE A CHRISTIAN…

"Why I am not a Christian" is the title of a book written by Bertrand Russell

"I would be a Christian if I had never met one," is a troubling statement of the great Gandhi.

These two indictments of my faith have demanded my attention and probed my deepest beliefs for many years. They have forced reevaluation-and reaffirmation-of what I believe and what shapes my life.

I have read some of Russell's book about why he is not a believer. He missed the point.

What I read was a clearly written critique of failures by the church and individuals. Some of them were gut-wrenching-but there was no failure of the Gospel. How foolish to think that pointing out the faults of people struggling toward the ideal somehow diminishes or discredits the Sent One, the Son of God.

I've studied Gandhi's life. In the formative years of his youth he lived in South Africa. He had a compelling quest in his heart to know God. Sadly, church leaders abused his spirit so profoundly he wanted nothing to do with Christianity.

Yet he cherished the principles the Bible teaches. Thus his statement, "I'd be a Christian if I had never met one."

Gandhi went to India and led a nation in countrywide resistance to oppression. The Biblical message of non-violence was the foundation of his movement.

The oppressor was vanquished in shame.

It has been harder for me to deal with Gandhi's statement than Russell's litany of human failures.

I must always deal with questions I hear in my own spirit.

"What if Ghandi had met me?"
"Are there others that have met me and decided not to be Christians?"
"Does my life encourage others to follow Jesus?"

Perhaps you'd like to join me in this prayer.

"Lord, please help me to never be the cause of another one to turn from you. Rather, help me to live the way and communicate the things that your Holy Spirit can use to draw people to you."
Amen!

No comments: